Beware! Going on vacation in Bali may make you fall in love. This is what often happens to many tourists and seemly you are experiencing it. Okay, plan your intention to stay longer from now. Start from gathering the cost of living in Bali and continue to other important support things. Indeed, there are a lot of reasons to come back here more than continue your adventuring. Bali is friendly and greats to work and study (especially in cooking and yoga classes). Anything your purpose, you need a complete guide for living in Bali cozily.
The Cost of living in Bali Guide:
Table of content:
- A Great Charm of Bali
- Comparing the Cost of Living in Bali with the Quality of life
- Property, Accommodation, and Foods
- Detail of Cost of Living in Bali 2019
- Comparison among Ubud, Canggu, and Seminyak
1. A Great Charm of Bali
Bali has been the second house of the tourists to spend their time in a warm nuance under the tropical climate. The warm temperature around 30o Celcius and the sunlight all years are perfect to reason to escape here. A great charm of Bali is the world paradise both inland and under the sea. Then, it adds a good reputation with the small crime and quite safe for solo travelers including females. Besides that, delicious Bali local foods and the unique cultures of Hindus’ traditions really charms everyone. Even, the magic of charm keeps existing of people who had come before.
Well, you look so excited and have been sure to move on Bali. Certainly, this page feels happy with your intention and it will all out stand by you. As the evidence of its sincerity to help you to get the best cost of living in Bali. Here are 10 (a-j) essential things to know before staying there:
a. Where is Bali?
Bali is one of 33 provinces in Indonesia with Hindus as a major religion. So, it influences more than 75% culturing tradition here. Even, it becomes the greatest attractiveness for tourists. Along with the beautiful landscapes, it introduces Bali Indonesia to the world.
b. Currency and living cost estimation
The currency of Bali Indonesia is Rupiah (IDR) wherein $1 USD is about IDR 14.000-15.000. Then, $1 AUD is about IDR 10.000. Meanwhile, the estimation of Bali cost of living may reach $650-1.700/ month for one person. However, you can be more money-saving when you get a shared living. Check your currency here.
Read also Bali money changers tips.
c. Places for Expatriates
Most people or tourists come from Australia where in this country is very close and the neighbor of Indonesia. Averagely, they and around 30 years old and use it as a cheap spring holiday. Ubud is the most favorite expat place to run away from the rush of the city. It becomes the finest way to go on vacation in a different view. Ubud offers a mesmerizing natural view of the rice field in Tegalalang.
Besides that, there is a more appealing spot there such as Ubud Monkey Forest. Living here for 3 or 6 months will not make you boring. On the contrary, you will understand the meaning of true hospitality from the locals existing around your living.
Visa is the part of the cost of living in Bali for a month and more. Actually, you can visit without a visa if you only want to relax for several days. However, you should use a tourist visa to stay longer with paying off $35 for staying a month. Then, you need to extend your visa to live for 60 days again. If you are still reluctant to turn back to your home town, you are still able to extend it again. Even though you have to leave first and them come back.
Usually, it does by short-term expatriates while long-term expatriates use the socio-cultural visa. This visa allows stay for 60 days and you can extend it until 4 times. If you a retirement, getting a residence visa is easier than non-retirement.
e. Regional Minimum Wage
Bali has a regional minimum wage of about $140 USD/ month. Nevertheless, you can earn up to $500 USD/ month if you have a better job.
Besides thinking about the cost of living in Bali for a week, month, or year (even per item), also consider the convenience. Bali is relatively safety and convenience for everyone who wants to come. The crime level here is very low than in other cities and countries. Even, you can walk alone without a tourist guide. However, you need to be careful toward the thief both on the road and in your residence. You as well must beware toward the credit card fraud in around ATMs.
Apart from those all, the motorcycle is the most convenient transportation to go out. Many local people use it to move from one place to another and foreigns ride it to surround Bali. Yeah, riding the motorcycle is saving time so much because it is able to break through traffic. One thing that you should know, the rate of a motorcycle accident is high enough. So, you should be careful about riding and always use safety equipment. Usually, tourists use travel insurance during their vacation.
g. Possible Problem
Besides the problem of fraud and thief, you must have a good knowledge of ocean safety. Obey all rules there because not all beaches have enough guards.
h. Kids and Pet Hospitality
Indonesia is well-known with high hospitality and Bali is very friendly for children. It provides a lot of local and international school with a more affordable cost. Even, you can also find the natural school to come closer to nature. Talking about the pet, the rule for the pet is still changeable depending on the situation. It is just there is rabies which becomes a serious illness for the pet.
Precisely, you bring a pet that really healthy so that it does not add diseases in Bali. Usually, your pet will stay in quarantine for 14 days. On the contrary, you cannot leave this place to bring the local pet to your country. It may spread rabies or other diseases both for the animal itself and human. If you are intending to stay permanently, you can treat the pet.
Definitely, you cannot use your own SIM-card in Bali. You have to change it with the local product to communicate and getting internet facility. Some remote areas use satellite to provide the internet for the citizen. You can also get free internet service from some restaurants, bars, cafes, hotels, and villas in Bali.
You do not allow to drink from the tap directly. Get the freshwater from your residences such as a house, resort, hotel, and vila. You can buy bottled water at the store with quite an expensive price. Try to follow the local people who always boil the water on the stove before drinking it.
Read also: The things to avoid in Bali
2. Comparing the Cost of Living in Bali with the Quality of life
Spending a lot of money must balance with what will you get later. Roughly, how good is the quality of life in Bali? It is very important to know because you will spend much money as your cost of living in Bali. Perhaps not all areas are good for life as the local people because there are so many tourists or it less calming.
Below is 3 best places to stay with a deep serenity:
Ubud is the first choice for you wherein the location is in the central area with a good reputation. People call it the new era, hippy, and the spiritual city. Apparently, it becomes the house of the best restaurant in Bali by offering delicious foods. It also offers a better life in the midst of the huge green rice field. You can blend with the farmer and pay attention to their activities.
Kuta is well-known with the city of family and backpacker. It offers all-day entertainment from the beach until the night party. People like spending their time at the beach because it is clean and chic. Besides that, the tourists always get a good sunset view before the party alive. See also best restaurant in Kuta.
Seminyak is suitable for you who dislike the party and miss a serenity nuance in each corner. Same like Kuta, Seminyak also has clean and beautiful beaches with local cultural attractions inside.
Check also villa in Seminyak
Well, those are the best places in Bali for a living but it does not impossible you will find another area. Measuring the quality of life here is not enough only with selecting a city to stay.
However, food, alcohol, and medical treatment become other aspects to consider. For further information, let’s see below:
- Food: Do not be surprised if you will see a lot of rice everywhere because it is its staple food. It is very rare to see people eating bread or gluten food for eating. Hence, local foods such as fried rice, chicken, duck, and other traditional foods are tasty. Not only tasty but they also healthier and good for the vegetarian. Only in Indonesia and Bali you may see and taste tempeh coming from soybean. Try it! More about Bali food here.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is not the cultured drink in Indonesia so that the existence is quite limited. There is a tax for alcohol and the imported wines so that the price is quite high. It is better you try Indonesian traditional herb drinks where they are healthier with many benefits.
- Medical Treatment: Sanglah Hospital is the main hospital in Bali that you can find in Denpasar. This place is suitable to heal severe illnesses and injury. Absolutely, you can use clinics or the Community Health Center (Puskesmas) to heal mild pain or injury. Check this medication to take to Bali explanation
Whenever you move here, you must always monitor the change cost of living in Bali. Each year, there is a significant price increase so that you cannot use your old information.
3. Property, Accommodation, and Foods
In 2019, there are some striking price increases:
Housing: The rent for housing both monthly and yearly keep increasing substantively primarily for the expatriates.
Labor Cost: Now, the regional minimum wage has increased up to IDR 3.000.000 per month. You can use as your cost of living in Bali for a year properly.
Commodity: The commodity price is fluctuating wherein some of the increase and the rest decrease. Nevertheless, the price of olive oil increases by up to 30%.
Superfoods and Organic Foods: It is very easy to find the best cafes in Bali with instagrammable designs and foods. Even, Bali is the house of cafe that also friendly for vegan. So, the utility of superfoods and organic foods are high enough. Thus, the cost of those ingredients increases too.
The cost of living in Bali per day/month and per year
Okay, those are some elements experiencing price increase this year. Next, let’s learn the cost of living in Bali per day until per year from the following aspects:
- Property: The high interest of the tourist visiting Bali and stay in luxury place influence the cost of the property. Averagely, the housing rental here is about $45-110 USD per years. If you choose a boardinghouse to stay, you may spend about IDR 1.6 million per month. By the way, do not compare the cost of living in Bali for expatriate and the local tourist. Surely, they get a special price which is far cheaper.
- Accommodation: Looking for property price is suitable for you who want to stay permanently or more than a year. Meanwhile, you can find one of the best hotels in Bali at a cheaper rate to stay less than 3 months. The cost of hotels here is quite competitive so that you also need to monitor it at any time.
- Foods: It is your opportunity to save money with cooking alone and exploring local foods. Do not bring your original character with consuming western or Japanese foods. They have very high cost here and keep increasing. Some ingredients do not exist here and the owner restaurant must import it. Occasionally, they employ chef coming from Europe and outside.
4. Detail of Cost of Living in Bali 2019
You might still confuse to overwhelming the living cost in Bali Indonesia. Here are details of price of the year in three currencies (IDR, USD, AUD, EUR):
- Low-end apartment studio: IDR 1.500.000, $107 USD, $153 AUD, 95 EUR
- High-end apartment studio: IDR 5.000.000, $355 USD, $509 AUD, 316 EUR
- 2-3 Bedroom House-low end –yearly: IDR 40.000.000, $ 2.840 USD, $4.071 AUD, 2.529 EUR
- 2-3 Bedroom House- high end- yearly: IDR 90.000.000, $6.391 USD, 9.160 AUD, 5.690 EUR
- Yearly rental low end villa with pool: 125.000.000, $8.876 USD, $12.722 AUD, 7.903 EUR
- Yearly rental high end villa with pool: IDR 450.000.000, $31.953 USD, $45.789 AUD, 28.450 EUR
- Fried rice: IDR 15.000, $1.07 USD, $1.53 AUD, 0.95 EUR
- Mixed rice: IDR 20.000, $1.42 USD, $2.04 AUD, 1.26 EUR
- Low end Western meal with drink: IDR 60.000, $4.26 USD, $6.11 AUD, 3.79 EUR
- Mid level Western meal with drink: IDR 120.000.000, $8.52 USD, $12.21 AUD, 7.59 EUR
- High end Western meal with drink: IDR 200.000, $14.20 USD, $20.35 AUD, 12.64 EUR
- Espresso or Cappucino: IDR 25.000, $1.78 USD, $2.54 AUD, 1.58 EUR
- Lokal fruit juice: IDR 8.000, $0.57 USD, $0.81 AUD, 0.51 EUR
- Fuit juice in restaurant: IDR 30.000, $2.13 USD, $3.05AUD, 1.90 EUR
Traditional Market (price per kg)
- Tomato: IDR 15.000, $1.07 USD, $1.53 AUD, 0.95 EUR
- Lime: IDR 15.000, $1.07 USD, $1.53 AUD, 0.95 EUR
- Shallot: IDR 30.000, $ 2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD, 1.90 EUR
- Garlic: IDR 30.000, $ 2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD, 1.90 EUR
- Fresh ginger: IDR 40.000, $2.84 USD, $4.07AUD, 2.53 EUR
- Sweet corn: IDR 10.000, $0.71 USD, $1.02 AUD, 0.63 EUR
- Local greens for water spinach per bundle: IDR 2.000, $0.14 USD, $020 AUD, 0.13 EUR
- Potato: IDR 15.000, $1.07 USD, $1.53 AUD, 0.95 EUR
- Cucumber: IDR 12.000, $0.85 USD, $1.22AUD, 0.76 EUR
- Lettuce: IDR 30.000, $ 2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD, 1.90 EUR
- Carrot: IDR 30.000, $ 2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD , 1.90 EUR
- Mango: IDR 30.000, $ 2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD, 1.90 EUR
- Rambutan: IDR 10.000, $0.71 USD, $1.02 AUD, 0.63 EUR
- Papaya: IDR 80.000, $0.57 USD, 0.81 AUD, 0.51 EUR
- Watermelon: IDR 6.000, $0.43 USD, $0.61 AUD, 0.38 EUR
- Young coconut (price per piece): IDR 10.000, $0.71 USD, $1.02 AUD, 0.63 EUR
- Avocado: IDR 30.000, $2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD, 1.90 EUR
- Local apple: IDR 15.000, $1.07 USD, $1.53 AUD, 0.95 EUR
- Snakefruit: IDR 15.000, $1.07 USD, $1.53 AUD, 0.95 EUR
- Local banana: IDR 25.000, $1.78USD, $2.54 AUD, 1.58 EUR
- Mangosteen: IDR 12.000, $0.85 USD, $1.22AUD, 0.76 EUR
- Chicken Breast per kg: IDR 59.000, $4.19 USD, $6.00 AUD, 3.73 EUR
- Beef (1kg): IDR 150.000, $10.65 USD, $15.27 AUD, 9.48 EUR
- Pork (1kg): IDR 90.000, $6.39 USD, $9.16 AUD, 5.69 EUR
- 1 whole chicken: IDR 50.000, $3.55 USD, $5.09 AUD, 3.16 EUR
- 1 whole organic chicken: IDR 65.000, $4.62 USD, $6.62 AUD, 4.11 EUR
- 1whole organic village chicken: IDR 86.000, $6.11 USD, $8.75 AUD, 5.44 EUR
- 10 brown eggs: IDR 19.500, $1.38 USD, $1.98 AUD, 1.23 EUR
- 6 white, local, and organic eggs: IDR 20.000, $1.42 USD, $2.04 AUD, 1.26 EUR
- Omega’s Egg (10 eggs): IDR 61.500, $4.37 USD, $6.26 AUD, 3.89 EUR
- Prawn (1kg): IDR 250.000, $17.75 USD, $25.44 AUD, 15.81 EUR
- Tuna (1kg): $170.000, $12.07 USD, $17.30 AUD, 10.75 EUR
- Cheese (cheddar/ kg): IDR 171.500, $12.18 USD, $17.45 AUD, 10.84 EUR
- Imported French butter (200gr block): IDR 65.000, $4.62 USD, $6.62 AUD, 4.11 EUR
- Olive oil/ litre: IDR 205.000, $14.56 USD, $20.86 AUD, 12.96 EUR
- Vegetable oil (1litre): IDR 36.500, $2.59 USD, $3.71 AUD, 2.31 EUR
- Tomato (1kg): IDR 20.000, $1.42 USD, $2.04 AUD, 1.26 EUR
- Local cucumber (1 kg): IDR 12.000, $0.85 USD, $1.22AUD, 0.76 EUR
- Local Potato (1kg): IDR 20.000, $1.42 USD, $2.04 AUD, 1.26 EUR
- Lime (1 kg): IDR 30.000, $2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD, 1.90 EUR
- Shallot (1 kg): IDR 44.000, $3.12 USD, $4.48 AUD, 2.78 EUR
- Paprika green (1kg): IDR 46.500, $3.30 USD, $4.73 AUD, 2.94 EUR
- Mushroom (1kg): IDR 40.000, $2.84 USD, $4.07AUD, 2.53 EUR
- White onion (1kg): IDR 75.000, $5.33 USD, $7.63 AUD, 4.74 EUR
- Water spinach (1 bundle): IDR 12.000, $0.85 USD, $1.22AUD, 0.76 EUR
- Lettuce (1kg): IDR 40.000, $2.84 USD, $4.07AUD, 2.53 EUR
- Banana cavendish (1kg): IDR 22.000, $1.56 USD, $2.24 AUD, 1.39 EUR
- Orange (1kg): IDR 17.000, $1.21 USD, $1.73 AUD, 1.07 EUR
- Mango (1kg): IDR 32.000, $2.27 USD, $3.26AUD, 2.02 EUR
- Avocado (1kg): IDR 35.000, $2.49 USD, $3.56 AUD, 2.21 EUR
- Watermelon: IDR 11.000, $0.78 USD, $1.12AUD, 0.70 EUR
- Papaya (1kg): IDR 9.500, $0.67 USD, $0.97 AUD, 0.60 EUR
- Apple (1 kg): IDR 37.500, $2.66 USD, $3.82 AUD, 2.37 EUR
- Pasturized milk for 1 liter: IDR 24.500, $1.74 USD, $2.49 AUD, 1.55 EUR
- Soymilk for 1 liter: IDR 30.000, $2.13 USD, $3.05 AUD, 1.90 EUR
- Yogurt (1 kg): IDR 85.500, $6.07 USD, $8.70 AUD, 5.41 EUR
- Fresh Baguette (large size): IDR 15.000, $1.07 USD, $1.53 AUD, 0.95 EUR
- Water (1.5 liter): IDR 5.500, $0.39 USD, $0.56 AUD, 0.35 EUR
- Water (19 liter jug): IDR 20.000, $1.42 USD, $2.04 AUD, 1.26 EUR
- Beer-Bintang small bottle (supermarket): IDR 20.000, $1.42 USD, $2.04 AUD, 1.26 EUR
- Beer-Bintang large bottle (supermarket): IDR 35.000, $2.49 USD, $3.56 AUD, 2.21 EUR
- Beer-Heineken small bottle (supermarket): IDR 26.500, $1.88 USD, $2.70 AUD, 1.68 EUR
- Beer-Heineken large bottle (supermarket): IDR 46.500, $3.30 USD, $4.73 AUD, 2.94 EUR
- Beer-Small Bottle (in Bar/ club): IDR 35.000, $2.49 USD, $3.56 AUD, 2.21 EUR
- Beer-Large Bottle (in bar/ club): IDR 55.000, $3.91 USD, $5.60 AUD, 3.48 EUR
- Mixed drink (bar/club): IDR 110.000, $7.81 USD, $11.20 AUD, 6.95 EUR
- Indonesian liquor 750ml (in liquor store): IDR 275.000, $19.53 AUD, $27.99 AUD, 17.39 EUR
- Local Wine-Hatten 750ml bottle: IDR 240.000, $17.04 USD, $24.43 AUD, 15.17 EUR
- Local Wine- 2 Island 750ml bottle: IDR 240.000, $17.04 USD, $24.43 AUD, 15.17 EUR
- Local Wine-Plaga- 750ml bottle: IDR 175.000, $12.43 USD, $17.81 AUD, 11.06 EUR
- Non-AC Boardinghouse: IDR 100.000, $7 USD, $10 AUD, 6 EUR
- Boardinghouse with AC: IDR 300.000, $21 USD, $31 AUD, 19 EUR
- No AC-Medium sized house: IDR 150.000, $11 USD, $15 AUD, 9 EUR
- Medium sized house with AC: IDR 500.000, $36 USD, $51AUD, 32 EUR
- Villa with AC and Pool: IDR 2.000.000, $142 USD, $204 AUD, 126 EUR
Internet (per month)
- Biznet Internet 500mbps: IDR 300.000, $21 USD, $31 AUD, 19 EUR
- Indihome 10mbps: IDR 380.000, $27 USD, $39 AUD, 24 EUR
- Other (10mbps): IDR 500.000, $36 USD, $51AUD, 32 EUR
- Other (20mbps): IDR 800.000, $57 USD, $81 AUD, 51 EUR
- Taxi Ride (short distance): IDR 50.000, $3.55 USD,$5.09 AUD, 3.16 EUR
- Taxi Ride (long distance): IDR 120.000, $8.52 USD, $12.21 AUD, 7.59 EUR
- Scooter 125cc- automatic- rent per day: IDR 70.000, $4.97 USD, $7.12 AUD, 4.43 EUR
- Scooter 125cc-automatic-rent per month: IDR 700.000, $49.71 USD,$71.24 AUD, 44,26 EUR
- Scooter 125cc-purchase-automatic: IDR 19.200.000, $1.363.35 USD, $1.954.04 AUD, 1.213.86 EUR
- Standard Motorcycle 150cc (KLX 150)-rent per day: IDR 150.000, $11 USD, $15 AUD, 9.48 EUR
- Standard Motorcycle 150cc (KLX 150)-rent per month: IDR 1.500.000, $106.51 USD, $152.66 AUD, 94.83 EUR
- Standard Motorcycle 150cc (KLX 150)-purchase: IDR 36.000.000, $2.556.27 USD, $3.663,82, 2.275.98 EUR
- Fuel (pertalite) per liter: IDR7.650, $0.54 USD, $0.78 AUD, 0.48 EUR
Accordingly, details of cost of living in Bali that you can use as common description. Even though, those prices can change (increase or decrease) anytime without notification. Nonetheless, the change will not be much different.
5. Comparison among Ubud, Canggu, and Seminyak
The detail information above, actually, has answered all from the primary until the smallest necessary. However, it looks too common and you can get the cost of living in Bali for tourists estimation for one people per month. A tourist may spend $650-$1.700 to stay a month wherein he or she will use $300-$1.100 for renting. $60 to get transportation facility especially the motorcycle rental plus fuel. You need $300-550 to eat and $75-$150 to do other activities. Yeah, you may spend that amount for massage, yoga, diving, and so on.
On the other hands, you need to compare the living cost in Bali from several places. Here, this page takes 3 areas such as below:
It needs $700- $1.500 per month to live in Ubud Bali Indonesia. Surprisingly, someone may spend up to $2000 to live with its family (4 people). Likely, they do not get a long-term rental discount so that they spend about $1.400 to pay for the rental. Further, they use the rest $600 to other things such as recreation, foods, and so on.
Canggu offers about $900 up to $1.200 cost of living. It means you will spend almost $1000 USD to live in Bali for a month. There is a villa in Canggu offers a shared cost of $363 per month. Precisely, you get the villa immediately in order to reduce your cost in lodging. Then, you still spend about $300 to eat until the last day in Bali. Yeah, those are just the primary expenses while you still have other activities needing much money. That is why the minimum cost to live in Canggu almost reach one thousand dollars.
The average cost of living in Bali per month especially in Seminyak between $900-$2000. Seminyak, the city of beach offers a middle cost to live a month. Besides that, this place is friendly for a family holiday but there is no or difficult to find a shared living. Nonetheless, many tourists love this city because they can really calm down. The place which looks like a paradise but still less of tourist has many local stores. So, you can get your foods at more affordable prices than other areas in Bali. If you want to stay near the beach, you can rent at $500 per month for a long-term rental.
Well, those are the complete guides of the cost of living in Bali for this year. Certainly, this information is extremely enough to use to live there. Even though, this page keeps recommending to always follow it. Who knows there is a change in the future. Okay, happy vacation and more fall in love with Bali!