Get the ultimate Bali travel guide today! Hello, travelers! It is your turn to stay in Bali and enjoy what this island present. Indeed, all things there are fascinating both the natural landscape and the cultural attractions. Although this beautiful place is not large, you keep needing Bali travel guide. Yeah, this information is very important for every traveler even if you had ever visited before. It does not care it is your first or so many times. You are special and deserve to get the ultimate Bali travel guide. Definitely, it presents the most complete guide so that you just stay here.
Guide: List of Content
- Places to visit: 11 favorite places for travelers
- What do you can do in those places?
- Accommodation and food costs
- Things that extremely know before landing in Bali
- 7 tricks to money saving
- 10 best booking resources to reach Bali
- Things to secure your trip
Wherever you plan to go, of course, place or the tourist destination is the first thing you think. It is impossible you want to go on vacation to Bali because of another reason. Surely, you want to this place because you hear about the beauty of the places or the unique cultures inside. Well, do not only hear from other people’s story but you must find it out alone. Moreover, there are many articles reviewing more about Bali both in Indonesian and English Languages. It implies this destination is very well-known not only in its country.
1. Which Place that you want to Visit
Roughly, how many charming places in Bali that will appear you? Bali travel and tips today has 11 favorite places for travelers in backpacker style and others:
- Denpasar: Denpasar is the capital province of Bali and you must land here because the international airport is here.
- Ubud: Ubud has mesmerizing rice field view thriving local village in the central Bali. You can stay here to calm your mind in a natural way while uniting to nature.
- Kuta: Kuta invites a lot of interest from domestic and foreign tourists. According to Bali Travel information, it becomes one of the most popular places in Bali with many visitors each year.
- Seminyak: You can visit Seminyak with go north from Kuta wherein this place exposes so awesome beaches.
- Legian: Actually, Legian is only the right next door of Kuta so that it can be another alternative destination before going on Seminyak. Legian offers something else besides the beaches but also the business of the city and many tourists.
- Jimbaran: Jimbaran does is on the south side of Kuta which not only offers fantastic beaches. However, this popular place in Bali offers luxury resorts that diffuse in the midst of the local community.
- Tuban: Tuban has a little piece to relax for you who want to enjoy Bali in a different way. It opposite of Seminyak, you must go south to reach Tuban.
- Uluwatu: There is still Uluwatu in the south side of Bali in which it offers attractive surfing spot and gorgeous beaches. Even, you can stay in great clifftop hotels.
- Sanur: Next, you may choose Sanur as your destination locating on the east coast of Bali. It offers lots of water sports and a beautiful sunrise. By the way, it becomes the opposite of Kuta offering astonishing sunset.
- Nusa Penida: Across the Badung Strait from Sanur to reach Nusa Penida and then stay in 5-star resorts in a bubble. See also discover Nusa Penida to explore this pretty island.
- Tanjung Benoa: Not far from Nusa Penida, there is Tanjung Benoa wherein it is well-known with the water activities. Tanjung Benoa is only 30 minutes from Ngurah Rai International Airport in Denpasar. It becomes the best place for some water sports, delish foods, temples, Balinese cooking school, wedding, honeymoon, and many else.
Explore More Place!
By the way, those are the common popular places in Bali. You can also explore off the beaten track such as Bali travel guide shows:
- Nusa Lembongan: Nusa Lembongan is the small island in the southwest of Bali becoming the neighbor of Nusa Penida. Here, it has a serenity spot for relaxing, surfing, snorkeling, and diving.
- Lovina: Lovina is the north coast of Bali that well-known with the black sand beaches. It also becomes the best spot to watch dolphins.
- Singaraja: Not far from Lovina beach, Singaraja has been waiting for your arrival. This Bali tourist destination is the second-largest city in Bali offering the old city view and surrounding sights.
- Amed: Amed is a quiet and serenity fishing village that is suitable for relaxing, swimming, and diving.
- Candidasa: Candidasa is the east coast of Bali offering a good idea to escape from the rush and crowds.
- Padang Bai: Close to Candidasa, there is Padang Bai that not only offers mesmerizing spots to dive and snorkeling. Nevertheless, it becomes the port to travel to Lombok and Gili Island.
2. What do you can do in Those Places?
Well, those are appealing places that you can visit when doing vacation here. Perhaps, you still confuse to start your holiday. Do not worry because this part will inform on Bali travel tips to spend your time worthy:
1. Visit the Monkey in Monkey Forest: You must not place the beach as the first destination but you can try something more adventuring. Start your trip from Ubud Monkey Forest to watch the natural life and population. Feeding them (long-tailed macaques) will be your relaxing unforgettable experience. Nevertheless, be careful in bringing your things they like stealing or seizing yours when you hold it carelessly. Nonetheless, you do not allow hurting them or you will get a new problem with the local community. Here, the monkey belongs to the sacred animal nurturing the temples around.
By the way, you may spend about $ 5.50 USD to come closer to the Monkey Forest.
2. Go to Mother Temple: The mother temple is Pura Besakih in Mount Agung, an active volcano. Before reaching the temple, you will pass a little bit adventuring with climbing the mount in several hours. Even though, you can also use a vehicle to reach the trailhead.
To rent the vehicle, you can use the nearest Bali tour agent or rental with cost about $29 USD.
3. Watch the Dolphins: One of the best spot to see the dancing dolphins is in Lovina Beach. To be able watching them, join the sunrise boat trips with reserving the ticket a day before.
You will spend for S57 USD (adult) and $40 USD (kids).
4. Spa: Your purpose to take the vacation is to release your tiring mind and fatigue. Spa becomes another way to revive your energy and mood again. You may get it from your lodging or visit the spa center. However, do not forget to tray the most relaxing Balinese massage traditional. Get it from one of the Bali Spa treatments using various herbs and spices.
To feel the benefits of Bali spa, you only need to spend at least $20 USD.
5. Stretch it out: Bali also offers tons of world-class yoga retreat centers both single classed and multi-day retreat. Certainly, it becomes a great place to stay healthy, distress, and relax. Find your best Bali villa with yoga to stay and keep healthy.
6. Watching the Buffalo Race: Sometimes, enjoying the beaches or climb the mountain is boring because you can do it everywhere. Meanwhile, enjoying the buffalo race rare exist in the world. You might merely watch it here. If you want to get this chance, come here in Negara, Bali every second Sunday from July to October. The race will start at 7 am so that you must arrive before the time.
7. Challenge your Brave with Trying some Adventure Sport: Before deciding to challenge your adrenaline, you must assure that your health especially the heart is healthy. It is because Bali offers tons of adventurous activities to do. You can try hiking, horseback riding, jungle trekking, and mountain cycling, until paragliding. To conduct those all, you may get various prices in which the paragliding reaches $110 USD per person.
8. Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: Bali is the paradise of beaches and spot snorkeling with breathtaking sights underneath. Yeah, you can enjoy them by scuba diving or snorkeling.
9. Party in Kuta: Do you like a party, of course, you do not want to pass the party in Kuta. It becomes the best place for the party both at the beaches, resorts, hotels, restaurants, bars, and cafes. Kuta makes Bali and you never sleep.
3. Accommodation and Food Costs
Staying at the hostel only starts from $5-14 USD with free breakfast and WIFI. The budget hotels offer $22-50 USD per night for the double room, breakfast, and WIFI. Meanwhile, the hotel with more facilities such as the pool can be at least $30 USD/ night. The hotel with the shared room needs $11 USD per night. Furthermore, home or apartment spends from $25 USD/ night.
Besides the accommodation, you need to pay attention to the foods. Trying the local foods not only enrich your culinary experience but also money-saving. It turns out the local foods are cheaper than western and Japanese foods. You might spend about $0.75 USD for the street foods and $1.10 USD at the basic local meal. The western foods are about S9 USD, fast foods are $4.5 USD, and the bottle of water is around $).40 USD.
If you plan to stay for a long time, you can cook your own meal with the stick to local food items. Buy them at the groceries one a week wherein you only need between $20-29 USD. Once more, avoid buying the item coming from other countries. Buying wines, cheese, and beef are extremely expensive there and it may ruin your budget.
3. Kinds of Travel Cost to Exploring The Island
The next is talking about the travel and tour Bali especially on the budget or cost. Here are 3 categories that you can follow such as below:
- Backpacker: Traveling as the backpacker may spend $25-45 USD per day for accommodation ($5-15), food ($5), transport ($5), and destination ($10-20).
- Mid-range: It will spend about $65-130 USD for the destination ($20-55), transport ($10), food ($15), and accommodation ($20-50).
- Luxury: The luxury trip may spends from $285-360+ USD for the accommodation ($150+), food ($35), transport ($30), and destination ($70-145).
4. Things that extremely know Before Landing in The Island
The most important thing is you will get a lot of new experiences from the activities above. Surely, you are going to say that one week is not enough to finish exploring this pretty island. However, you should not flight there without understanding about 20 things to know before you go to Bali:
1. Flight with Free Visa: Apparently, Bali gives a free visa for 30 days so that you can explore the amazing places with more satisfying.
2. Best time to stay: According to the Bali travel guide, these days are the best time to go to Bali because the weather is good. You can still enjoy it until September because the wet season will come soon. It comes from October until March.
3. Special Day: Bali has a special day namely Saka New Year or Nyepi in the Indonesian Language. Absolutely, it is the special day of Hindus religion wherein it is the majority population there. Usually, the Saka New Year takes place on March but the date is according to the Saka Lunar Calendar. If you want to travel at that time, you must arrive several or the days after the event. When you are there on that day, you must follow the rule. You cannot go out and only stay in your lodging without light, activity, and food all day.
4. Currency: During having a holiday in Bali, you must use the Indonesia currency namely Rupiah.
5. Exchange: However, you do not worry because there are tons of exchanges in Bali so that you can change your dollar after arriving there.
6. ATM: Besides changes in the money exchange, you can do it in the ATM but you might get an additional fee. You can take your money in the form of IDR 50.000 or IDR 100.000. Even though, you must beware toward the credit card frauds there.
7. Electricity: Bali Indonesia offers 220 Volts, 50 Hz. You can get the electrical plug-in two-pronged or Euro plug type.
8. Connection: To stay connecting with your family and friend, you need to change your SIM card in the convenient store. Verify SIM and Micro-SIM factors upon purchasing to get the mobile internet-ready.
9. Driving System: Indonesia including Bali uses the left side driver so that you must adapt if you use the right-side driving.
10. Traffic: You must know that there are many land transportation in Indonesia most people like to ride cars and motorcycles. Even, you will often see the women riding the motorcycle. Bali includes the most traffic jam cities. It often happens around the tourist destination.
11. Taxi: It turns out this city does not has bus transportation but it offers taxis, Grab-car, and Uber. Even, you can reach your destination faster using a taxi bike.
12. Rentals: If you have an international driving license, you can drive alone with renting a car or motorcycle.
13. Custom and Etiquette: This rule usually appears on the temple tourist destination. You must rent a sarong with a sash around your waist before entering the temple. Usually, the rental cost is about IDR 10K and give it to the keeper. You quite give the money as you want on a donation box if you bring the sarong alone. Basically, enjoying the temple is free.
14. Water: Differ from Europe or other countries, you cannot drink water from the tap because it is not healthy. The water is available in the showcase, hotels, restaurants, bars, cafes, and stores.
15. Monkeys: Monkeys remind you when you visit Monkey Forest in Ubud wherein you must wear minimum accessories or better not use it at all. Actually, you do not allow to approach and feed them because they are not a pet and keep wild.
16. Emergencies: By the way, there is no 911 to overcome the emergency condition but you can dial 118 for ambulance and 110 for police.
17. Drugs: You cannot bring careless medication to go to Bali. The government has control and manage the medicine allow enter Bali and other countries. If you violate it, you may get into the jail or penalty. You might be able to bring hand sanitizer, Band-Aids, earplug, antibacterial creams, Tylenol, and hydrocortisone cream.
5. 7 Tricks to Money Saving without damaging your Holiday
Going on vacation does not mean you must be hedonism but you still need to save money. The Backpacking Bali 2019 travel guide here has 7 recommendation tips to money-saving:
- Use the free shuffles: You can save your money from using free airport transfers.
- Choose the Northside Tourist Attractions: Do not visit the southern area full of popular destinations, foods, and accommodation. On the contrary, you must avoid it and go on the north side that is still less of a tourist. The places in north Bali keep beautiful, calming, and convenience. Alongside that, the places are more economical.
- Use Uber to save money on rideshares: Uber is a new public transportation in which you can share with your friends to pay the rate. It is also cheaper than a taxi and more comfortable like using a private car. Apparently, that convenience only needs up to $15 USD.
- Eat Local Foods to save money: Yeah, it is such as what you read above that you can taste Bali local food starting from $0.50 USD.
- Always bring filtered Bottle Water: The temperature in Bali is about 30 degrees Celsius where it feels quite hot for people living in tundra climate or in four-season countries. You might feel often exhausted during your trip while buying the water is quite expensive for many times. Therefore, it is better to always bring your own water filling from your room.
- Drink cheap: If you want to drink alcohol, buy it in the happy hours or in the local store including the bars.
Indonesian people are unique wherein they like to bargain to festive the transaction. Feel free to bargain until getting the right price to buy.
6. 10 Best Booking Resources
The traveling system in Indonesia including Bali grows fast with a lot of easiness. Before arriving there, you can reserve for accommodation and other necessaries use online Bali travel guide. You can use one or some of 10 online booking platforms to get the best accommodation:
- Skyscanner – Introduce Skyscanner as your great flight search engine for numerous different airlines. Here, you also see the many of budget carriers which large site miss.
- Momondo – Momondo is the second flight search engine with a wide variety of sites and airlines. Book here does not need to check the flight first.
- Agoda – Agoda becomes the best hotel accommodation site in Asia which offer the best rates and largest inventory. You can reserve your hotel quite on Agoda website to find the best place to stay in Bali.
- Airbnb – Airbnb is the site to find the homeowners who want to rent out their apartment or home. Usually, the new user in Airbnb will get $35 off for the first stay.
- Hostelworld – It becomes the best website for hostel accommodation with the largest inventory. Hostelworld becomes the best search interface and the widest availability.
- World Nomads – World Nomads is the website offering travel insurance which is very important to have during doing the trip. Customer service serves everyone properly while offering competitive prices and in-depth coverage.
- EatWith – This website helps you to eat all that you want including the home-cooked meal with locals. You can sign up for the locals’ post listing for dinner parties and specialty meal. Indeed, there is a fee but you will get something different, pick a local’s brain, and make a new friend.
- Intrepid Travel – Intrepid Travel offers a small group tour around Indonesia with local operators and leaves a small environmental footprint. Go with this website by clicking the link adds your benefit of the exclusive discounts
- STA Travel – STA Travel is the company for the students or under 30 with airfare discounts to save on the attractions.
- Grassroots Volunteering – Truthfully, traveling must not be for your own purpose but you can do it to be a volunteer. Grassroots Volunteering is suitable for you who have a kind-hearted soul and for a different trip in a low budget. Here, you will find a list of a good local volunteer organization which you can choose.
7. 6 Other Important Things to secure your Trip (Male and Female)
Once again, Bali includes the save tourist destination for male, female, single, and others. However, it does not mean there is no crime here so that you ignore your safety. Nonetheless, you need to know 6 other essential Bali travel tips to avoid something bad happen:
- Theft – Actually, theft is not only common crime in Bali but also in other cities and countries. Keep staying alert to avoid the crime with always put your bag in front. Then, do not show your accessories also money. Do not think about violate because this crime is very rare to happen.
- Travel Scams – Beware toward the travel scams that often take aim the target in the ATM or maybe in other places. Do not worry but you can read 14 Major Travel Scams to Avoid before leaving your home.
- Credit Card Fraud – The case is almost similar to the travel scams it also commonly occurs in Indonesia. Enter a reputable bank to withdraw money from the ATM and it is useful to keep the private information. So, they will not steal it and take your money. Do not often take your money from the ATM and do not save all money there. Precisely, you pay everything to use cash but keep it well to avoid the thief.
- Always follow your instinct – Following the instinct is very important because it often closes to the truth. You might feel strange toward the lodging that you stay or the taxi that you get it. Soon, go from your hotel or the taxi carefully without leaving suspicion.
- Use Travel Insurance – You have known where to get travel insurance and it will give you a lot of benefits. The insurance from the World Nomads will protect you from the theft, injury, illness, and cancellation.
- Follow the rule – Always follow the rule if you want to travel safely and full of happiness. Do not do what Indonesian ban although it is legal in your country. It is important to learn about the cultures and habit of the Indonesian people.
Well, those are a lot of information from the Bali travel guide which not only talks about the destination. However, it very cares to your safety so that it informs many things to secure you. Travel without disturbing others. Happy holiday!